Whoever said salads can’t be delicious never tried this one! A really fun and interesting dish to try at home. Tons of textures and flavours – and a great way to use up those beets!
The sourdough crumb and the lemon aioli are real showstoppers here and two things you should have in your pantry at all times. They’re both an easy way to make any meal more delicious!
A DOOZY of a salad here folks. Beet, mozzarella, apple, sourdough crumb, and lemon aioli. A must try.Print Recipe
- 1 lb beets
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 thin slices of sour dough bread
- 1 green apple, julienned
- ½ ball of fresh mozzarella
- 2 almonds
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and drop in beets. Reduce heat to medium and cook until beets are tender enough to pierce easily with a knife. (Approx 30-40 mins.) Drain beets and place in an ice bath to stop cooking. Once cooled, peel beets and cut into cubes. Feel free to peel the beet, although I tend to just cut off the rough spots but keep the skin on. Season with salt, lemon juice, olive oil.
- Time for the sourdough crumb. Place thinly sliced pieces of sourdough onto lightly oiled saute pan over medium high heat. A cast iron pan works great for this. You are looking for both sides to get nice and crispy. Once crispy, remove from pan and place toasts on bake tray and put in oven set at 265. Leave in oven until moisture is totally out of the bread. Next up, blitz up the bread in a food processor. You are good to go!
- Aioli. OK, love this emulsion! In a blender add in 2 cloves of garlic, juice and zest of 2 lemons, white wine vinegar, and 1 egg. Blitz together on high. After 20 seconds start slowly streaming in the olive oil. Take your time here. Don't rush!
- Time to plate up. Spread aioli in a circle in the centre of the plate. Place layer of beets on top of aioli. Next up is the torn mozzarella, the crumb, then julienned apples. Finish top of dish by micro-planing almonds on top of everything. Add a couple of nice looking greens and a squirt of olive oil. Done! Eat!