Crispy tofu…hear me out. I guarantee you will love this.
I am a recent convert to tofu. I love it. I find it so filling, with great texture, and it’s a great way to get a solid serving of protein quickly. I use it in all sorts of ways; as a ground meat or scrambled egg substitute, or as you will learn now, my favourite way – crispy pan fried!
I’ve served this to a ton of people and I am batting nearly 100% in converting people to raving fans. This is a super basic recipe that I think you’ll love. Worth giving it a try.
Key tips for nailing this are to take your time and make sure you fully drain as much of the liquid out of the tofu as possible. This will result in even crispier bites. Also, get creative with the seasoning. I love to use good curry powder or five spice. Take it in what ever direction you are craving!
- 420g block of extra firm tofu
- 1/2- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp chinese five spice or what ever seasoning you choose
- 2 tbsp canola oil for frying
- Drain the liquid from the package of tofu. Wrap in paper towel and lightly press. Try to get as much of the liquid out of the tofu as possible. It will result in crispier bites!
- Cut the tofu into cubes and place in a large bowl. Pour in the cornstarch and toss. You want to make sure the tofu doesn't look wet in any way. Add in spices and toss.
- Get a pan ripping hot and add in the canola oil. Place the cubes into the pan and fry on each side until crunchy. Around 1 min per side.
- Once done, remove from pan and season with salt and more spices if you like. Serve hot with soy sauce and rice wine vinegar! Enjoy!
Subscribe to more content like this: