Salmon is a protein I feel I should eat more often. It’s really versatile, packed with protein, and as long as you purchase well, a very sustainable fish.
My favourite way to eat salmon is when it’s cooked on a cedar plank. The smoke gives the fish a really natural and complementary flavour that I just love. I remember my dad BBQ’ing with the cedar planks a lot and it really is just lovely.
For this recipe it does take a bit of planning to make sure you properly soak the cedar plank as well as give the fish long enough to marinate.
Give this a try and let me know what you think. My goal is to cook way more fish this fall so buckle up!
Maple Ginger Cedar Planked SalmonPrint Recipe
- 1 large salmon filet
- 1 cedar plank, soaked for at least 4 hours
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp grainy dijon mustard
- 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 peach, diced
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- This will take a bit of planning but it’s easy peasy! Start by soaking the cedar plank in the sink overnight. This will avoid the plank going up in flames! Place the salmon in a plastic freezer bag and pour in all of the ingredients for the marinade. Place in the fridge and let sit overnight so the flavours can get all cozy together.
- Once you are ready to cook, take the fish out of the freezer bag and pour all of the marinade into a small pot. Place the pot over medium heat and let reduce for 10 mins. This will be a nice glaze to brush on the salmon. Brush remaining marinade off the salmon and place fish skin side down on the soaked cedar plank.
- Now, let’s get the grill rocking. Bring temperature of the grill up to 350 and place the planked salmon on the grill; close the lid. Let cook for 20-30 mins. It’s always nice to have a spray bottle of water close by just in case the wood does catch fire.
- After the fish is done (internal temp at 130) remove from grill and serve directly on the plank! This meal is amazing with potatoes, grilled garlic scapes, fiddleheads, or spinach salad!