Love this recipe. Super easy to do and the results are awesome. Never make dough before? Don’t be scared. They are really easy. You just need a bit of time. These little guys quite literally blew my mind. A must make.
The Pretzel. This is dead easy and 100% a must try. Great food for a crew.Print Recipe
- 2 tsp instant rise yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup + 5 TBS of warm (not hot!!) water.
- 3 cups white flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup baking soda
- flaky salt
- sesame seeds
- Water for large pot
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp grainy dijon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Start on the dough. Combine yeast, warm water and honey in mixing bowl and let it just sit there for like 5-10 mins. You want to see the yeast wake up and get frothy. I love the smell of the yeast.
- Once yeast is activated add the flour, olive oil and salt. If you have a mixer, using the dough hook and knead for 3 mins on high. If you don't have a mixer, sadly.. its by hand. Get going and knead for 7-10 mins or until the dough is smooth. Form into round ball and let it rest in an oiled bowl. Cover for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- After the dough has doubled in size, punch the air out of the dough. Cut dough into 8 pieces and roll them out into thin ropes, twisting the two ends to form a pretzel shape. I just youtube'd how to twist these things. I suggest you do the same!
- Add the baking soda to the pot of water and bring to a boil. Once at a boil add in the raw pretzels and leave them for 30 seconds. The baking soda is what gives the pretzel the nice brown colour. Could do this process with bagels as well.
- After boiling all of the pretzels place them on baking sheets. Scramble the egg in a bowl and brush the pretzel with the egg. Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds (really what ever you want) and put it in the oven for 15 minutes. Now make a dip!
- In a bowl combine yellow mustard, maple syrup, grainy dijon mustard, and mayonnaise.