I am a big carrot cake can. One of my favs out there. These vegan mini carrot cake muffins have all of the flavours but made with zero animal products. The cool this with this recipe is I substituted Hellmann’s Vegan for eggs. The vegan mayo operates in the same way as the eggs in the baking progress which leaves us with a airy but moist carrot cake. Give this one I try for sure!
Mayo in a cake?
I often get funny looks when talking about using mayo or vegan mayo in baking, but when you stop and thinking about it, it makes sense! We use mayo or vegan mayo as a substitute for oil and eggs, which is exactly what mayo is! Oil + eggs.
(In full discloser, this is part of an #Ad I am doing with Hellmanns for a video I posted on TikTok. Still a great recipe thought :))
Vegan Carrot Cake Mini MuffinsPrint Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Zest of an orange
- 3 tbs oat milk
- 3/4 cup Hellmann's Vegan
- 1.5 cups grated carrots
Vegan "Cream cheese" icing
- 1/4 cup plant based butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese available in health food section
- 1 tbs oat milk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a bowl mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and orange zest. Set the bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oat milk, Hellmann’s Vegan mayonnaise, grated carrots, and applesauce.
- Now combine both the dry and wet ingredients together. Be careful not to over work the batter.
- Once smooth, spoon batter into pre prepared mini muffin tins. Once all of the muffin molds are filled, place trays into the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes. Remove from the oven when you can poke the muffin with a toothpick, and it comes out clean. Place muffins on cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the muffins are baking, add the vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, icing sugar, and oat milk to a bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until smooth. Option to place icing into a piping bag affixed with a star tip.
- Once muffins are cooled, pipe on vegan cream cheese icing and enjoy!
- An additional fun tip, add orange zest to some sugar to create orange sugar to sprinkle on top of the icing for colour.