This crunchy, fresh, slaw will totally change your mind about cabbage! Bright and fresh, this salad is perfect to make in advance and enjoy all week long. The cabbage is tough and doesn’t break down so you don’t need to worry about it going soggy!
I feel cabbage gets bad wrap for no good reason. I find it delicious and a great ingredient to add into your salads for extra crunch! I often have either green or red cabbage in my fridge as it lasts forever and is a great ingredients for salads, stirfries or whipping into a slaw.
There is lots going on in this salad. Tons of texture, spices, flavours, all coming together to make a really tasty salad. I like making this on a Sunday and eating it throughout the week as a side or as a full lunch. Toss a grilled piece of chicken or fish on top and you have a full meal!
Let’s breakdown the ingredients!
- Green Cabbage – The back bone of this salad. Crunchy, fresh, and delicious
- Chickpeas- I love tossing in a couple handfuls of chickpeas into my salads as a pop of protein
- Cucumbers – Bright and fresh
- Herbs- Green onions and dill give this salad a wonderful herby freshness
- Aromatics – Garlic, and shallots
- Spices- Salt, pepper, and Zaatar
- crispy pita chips- All you need to do is tear apart a pita and then toss the pieces into a hot, oiled pan. fry until crispy
- Greek yogurt
This salad will last 5 days in the fridge.
Crunchy cabbage herb and chickpea slawPrint Recipe
- 5 cups shredded Cabbage
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 cups crispy pita pieces
- 2 tbs zaatar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon zested + 2 tbs juice
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- In a large bowl add all of the ingredients. Toss season with salt to taste. I always like to serve this with toasted pita bread. Feel free to top with some grilled chicken. Enjoy!