This velvety smooth vegetable soup could honestly be the definition of comfort food. Great balance of flavours, sweet, spice, crunch, smooth. It has a little bit of everything and is perfect for when those cooler weather months. The bonus is this recipe is silly, easy to make and will be a crowd-pleaser for certain!
Roasting your vegetables
For this recipe, I am using a mixture of harvested vegetables like butternut squash, sweet potato, and carrots. Feel free to experiment here and use what you have on hand. I love the flavour of roasted butternut squash, as it has a depth and sweetness that is just so delicious. I had just picked some fresh carrots from my garden, which are a thing of beauty. The carrots add a great texture and a sweetness that I really enjoy. I also added some sweet potato to help bulk things up, as well as a couple of roasted onions for depth of flavour.
Blending your soup
You have a few options for making your soup velvety smooth. If you have a blender, you can easily pour the softened veg and broth into the blender and blend to the consistency you are searching for. If you have a handheld immersion blender, even better as you won’t need to dirty the blender. If you have no blender of any sort, find yourself a potato masher and go to work! Might not end up velvety smooth, but it will still taste delicious!
Let’s Breakdown The Ingredients!
Butternut Squash – A great vegetable that just loves to be roasted! No need to take the skin off!
Yellow onions- I like to cut the onions in half and roast them until they are a lovely dark brown. Loaded with flavours!
Sweet Potato- The caramelized roasted sweet potatoes add lovely colour and flavour to the soup.
Carrots- Sweet in flavour and another amazing vegetable to roast
Coconut milk- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk gives this soup a lovely flavour and balances perfectly with the curry powder.
Stock- Homemade is best, but chicken or vegetable stock is perfect for this dish.
Spices- Curry powder, cinnamon, and cumin bring the flavour notes here!
Maple Syrup- Just a hint of sweetness to bring everything together.
Toppings- Toasted croutons, flaked coconut, and fresh cilantro.
Curried Butternut Squash, Carrot, Sweet potato soup.Print Recipe
- 1 Butternut Squash, sliced lengthways. Seeds removed
- 1 sweet potato, slice into medallions
- 5 Carrots
- 2 yellow onions, sliced in half
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups Chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tbs curry powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup toasted sourdough croutons
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Pre heat oven to 450F.
- Slice butternut squash, carrots, onions, and sweet potatoes. Drizzle on olive oil and a tsp of curry powder. Using your hands, mix together to make sure vegetables are coated in oil. Roast for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are nice and roasted.
- Once vegetables are done roasting, scoop them into a large pot placed oven medium high heat. Pour in the coconut milk, and stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add in the curry powder, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and cumin. Stir and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- If topping with croutons, dice up sourdough bread and toast in a pan with olive oil.
- Serve soup in a bowl and top with sourdough croutons, flaked coconut, and cilantro. Enjoy!