I am obsessed with trying to think up easy and delicious meals that will make your weeknights easier. Here is a doozy of a recipe that I really think should find its way into your weekly rotation. Harissa Chicken and peppers. Insanely easy to make with about 10 minutes max of prep work. It’s as easy as mixing everything in a bowl, popping it on to a baking sheet, then tossing the tray in the oven for 45 mins. Easy, healthy, delicious. What more could you want?
What is Harissa?
If you’re looking to step up your condiment game, then welcoming harissa into your life is a great place to start. This spicy, smoky, peppery red chili paste originally hails from Tunisia, and it is common in Middle Eastern and North African cooking. It can add a spicy kick to just about anything, from eggs to dips to noodles to marinades to braises. I love this condiment and I am seeing it available in most large chain grocery stores now! It can be spicy, so be warned 🙂
Harissa Chicken & Pepper Tray BakePrint Recipe
- 8 skin on bone in chicken thighs
- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 4 peppers, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 tsp harissa
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- Pre heat your oven to 425
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken thighs, peppers, onions, harissa paste, olive oil, salt, and garlic. Make sure all ingredients are well covered with harissa and then spread out on a large baking sheet. Place into the preheated oven for 45 minutes. I also suggest you turn on the broiler for the last 2-3 minutes to brown up the chicken skin.
- Next up, let's cook the basmati rice. In a medium sized pot add in 1 1/2 cups of rice followed by 3 cups of water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boil has been reached, cover the pot and reduce temperature to low and let simmer for 12 minutes. After the 12 minutes, keep covered and remove from heat until ready to serve.
- Once chicken is done in the oven, season with lemon juice and serve hot. Enjoy this super easy, healthy dinner!