This viral La Scala Chopped Salad was made famous by none other than the Kardashians, so you know I needed to give it a try. All of the great flavours from an Italian cold cut but in a salad format. The best part is how customizable it is; grab what you love, give it a quick chop, and enjoy!
La Scala Chopped Salad: Crunch is king.
With a salad like this, crunchy lettuce is going to be your best friend. Going with a crispy head of Iceberg lettuce is always going to do the trick.
Iceberg lettuce has this great way of staying crispy; it’s not as soft as, say, romaine or other salad mixes. It makes sense for it to be the chosen lettuce leaf of classic Italian subs across the nation!
Cleaning your lettuce is also important when it comes to making the perfect salad, and a salad spinner is going to be your best friend for cleaning and drying your greens.
La Scala Chopped Salad: It’s all about the salami.
For me, one of the best parts about this salad is the thin strips of salty, meaty, and fatty salami; a little flavor bomb in every bite.
There is a world of cured meats out there; the original recipe went for salami, but you could use your favorite deli slice. If you have a local Italian grocer, or maybe your grocery store has a decent deli, you could play around with so many variations.
Feeling like you want to up the heat? Toss in some spicy salami; the world is your deli!
La Scala Chopped Salad: The perfect dressing.
The final reason why this salad will forever hold a special place in my heart is the dressing. It’s creamy, bright, and has its own spiciness from the Dijon mustard.
When I think of an Italian cold cut, this is the dressing I imagine. It’s a super easy recipe; all you need is a mason jar and a strong arm.
Add all of your ingredients to the jar, seal the lid tight, and give it a good shake. The harder you shake, the better the dressing is going to be. Keep it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Other great salad recipes to check out!
If you liked the sound of this La Scala Chopped Salad, here are a few other recipes you should try!
La Scala Chopped SaladPrint Recipe
- 1 Head Iceberg Lettuce Chopped
- 1 cup Salami Sliced thin
- 1 19oz Can Chickpeas Drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- 1 cup Red Onion Sliced thin
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Plus more for garnishing
- With a sharp knife, chop 1 head of iceberg lettuce, 1 cup of salami, 1/4 cup red onion, and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Rinse and drain 1 19oz can of chickpeas and add them to the bowl along with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella.
- Into a mason jar, add 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan. Seal the jar and give it a good shake until it's fully emulsified.
- Dress your salad and serve with extra grated Parmesan and black pepper.