This is the kind of recipe you will want to eat every week. These were the exact words that my wife said to me when she tried this dish. It really is a perfect weeknight meal. High in protein and full of ingredients, you can feel good about eating. Perfectly seasoned salmon nuggets, slightly spicy and super crave-able mayo, served with sushi rice, avocado, and cucumbers. Defiantly gives off some sushi vibes, but no raw fish in this recipe.
Seasoning your salmon
Salmon is a great protein for taking on flavour from seasoning. Nothing fancy here; simply remove the skin off of your salmon and cut it into cubes. From there, toss into a bowl and throw in all of the seasonings. Let it marinate for 5-10 minutes, or if you are really keen on making this for a group, let it marinate overnight and let those flavours really absorb. After those flavours set in, drop salmon into a hot pan for 2-3 minutes per side. Boom, the hardest part of the dish is done!
The spicy mayo really brings this whole dish together and gives it the spicy salmon sushi roll feel but with cooked salmon. Easy to toss together and will last in the fridge for weeks. In a bowl, mix together mayo, lemon juice, and sambal. Sambal is available at most grocery stores and is a great staple to have in your fridge. Try with scrambled eggs, and thank me later! If you don’t have sambal, you can use any hot sauce and add a tbs of minced garlic. That’s it!
Building your Spiced Salmon Bowl
Building this bowl is very easy. I serve this dish with sticky rice, sliced avocado, cucumbers, spicy mayo, sesame seeds, and cilantro. This is an amazing weeknight meal, perfect dinner club option, and an absolutely perfect meal prep meal. This recipe has made its way into my families weekly meal routine.
Spiced Salmon Bowl with Spicy MayoPrint Recipe
- 2 Filets Salmon, skinned removed and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 tbs sambal or other hot sauce
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice (half a lemon)
Other parts of the bowl
- 2 cups cooked sticky rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro
- Follow package instructions and cook rice.
- Into a bowl toss the cubed salmon with the salt, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, maple syrup, soy sauce, and minced garlic. Let marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together mayo, sambal, and lemon juice. I like to pour this into a squeeze bottle just to be extra.
- Place an oil non stick pan over medium high heat. Once at temperature drop in the salmon and cook each side for about 2-3 minutes. Once cooked, remove from pan.
- Time to build the bowl, Add in the rice, salmon, sliced avocado, slice cucumbers, spicy mayo, sesame seeds, and cilantro.. oh, some green onions could be fun too 🙂 Enjoy that one!