This approach Chicken Teriyaki and rice is an amazing weeknight dinner and a brilliant meal prep option for the week. As a meal, I love this dish, but this homemade teriyaki sauce really steals the show. Easy to whip up, and stays in your fridge for months.. but a guarantee you will eat it in a week!
Teriyaki sauce is a sweet and salty condiment used in Japanese cuisine. The first Teriyaki sauce was made in Hawaii by Japanese migrants. The sauce has gone through some transformations since then, but has become one of the most popular ingredients in the world. Used in stirfrys or brushed onto meat prior to grilling, this sweet and salty sauce is amazing on basically everything.
I love making this sauce to have in my fridge as it is delicious with basically everything. Chicken, tofu, beef, fish, literally everything pairs well with a little bit of this delicious sauce. From my research, teriyaki sauce traditionally would be made with sake and mirin, but in an effort to make it a bit easier to find the ingredients here in Atlantic Canada, I made a few substitutions.
Let’s breakdown the ingredients
- Soy Sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Sesame Oil
- Water + Cornstarch
- Toast Sesame Seeds
For this recipe I use boneless skinless chicken thighs. I made a quick dry mixture of flour, cornstarch, and salt, which I tossed the chicken in until it was totally covered. From there I dropped the chicken thighs into an oiled hot pan and cooked other sides until the were beautifully brown and crispy. About 4 minutes per side. From there I dunked the chicken in the sauce and sliced it.
Chicken Teriyaki and ricePrint Recipe
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water + 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 8 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Roasted Broccoli
- 4 cups Cooked, sushi rice
- First things first, follow the package instructions and cook of your rice and roast you broccoli
- Next up let's start with the sauce. Into a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, water + cornstarch mixture, and the toasted sesame seeds. Set bowl aside.
- Place small pot over medium high heat and add in 1 tbs of oil. Once oil is hot add in the garlic, ginger, and shallot and stir constantly for 1 minute. After 1 minute pour in the sauce and allow to come to a simmer, be sure to whisk the sauce frequently. The sauce should start to thicken up once it simmer for a couple minutes. After it begins to thicken, remove from heat and set aside until we are ready to serve.
- Next up chicken. Into a bowl mix together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Drop the chicken thighs into the flour bowl and toss. Make sure chicken is totally covered. Now place an oiled pan over medium high heat and once the pan has reach temperature, drop in the chicken. Fry both sides until they are golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Once chicken is cooked, remove from the pan.
- Dip the cooked chicken into the sauce and then slice. Add rice to a bowl, top with sliced chicken and roasted broccoli. Add another tbs of sauce over the chicken and enjoy!