There are several recipes I make in the kitchen that I really believe, in my heart, people should make for themselves. This is one of them. It’s outrageously delicious. If you are a cinnamon bun fan, this is obviously up your alley. Just as delicious (bold statement) and significantly easier to make, especially for folks who are intimidated by baking with yeast.
I like this recipe for special holiday mornings that generally call for a freshly made cinnamon bun. The bonus about this cake is that it’s silly easy to make and you don’t have to stress about making yeasted dough, which for some can be intimidating.
Cinnamon Bun Coffee Cake.Print Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Brown Sugar Crumb
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 tbsp milk
- Here we go! In a bowl add all the dry ingredients for the cake: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder. Whisk together and set aside.
- Next, wet ingredients. In a bowl mix together milk, sour cream, egg, vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix. Careful not to overmix. Once combined, pour in the 1/4 cup melted butter. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into a 8X8 inch greased baking pan.
- Now the brown sugar crumb. In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, 1 tbsp melted butter, and salt.
- Pour the brown sugar crumb over the top of the cake batter. Using a butter knife, swirl the brown sugar mixture through the batter of the cake. Press the sugar down into the batter gently with a spatula.
- Bake at 350 for 20-24 mins. You will know the cake is done when you can poke with a wooden skewer or toothpick and it comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, let's whip up the icing. In a bowl mix together icing sugar, vanilla, milk. Whisk.
- Let the cake cool, pour icing over top, cut and eat. Enjoy this one. One of those things you probably shouldn't eat that often so really enjoy it!!! A nice coffee, some Neil Young. Now that, my friends, is self-care.