We are a big pancake family. Both my daughters and wife will request a nice pancake feed basically every week. On top of the typical weekend pancake breakfast, I love making a big batch of these power pancakes on the weekend so we can have healthy pancakes at our finger tips through out the week.
What I love the most about these pancakes is that they are fully of really amazing ingredients. Instead of using refined white flour, I used whole grain oat flour. I love the flavour this gives the pancake. It will remind you of a really lovely bowl of oatmeal!
Beyond oat flour, I sneak some extra super foods in here to bump up the amount of protein per serving. I wanted to have a protein pancake recipe that did not use protein powder as I don’t love the idea of serving my young children whey protein. But with the edition of hemp seeds, ground flax seeds, eggs, milk, and oats, there is tons of clean protein in each pancake that leaves you feeling full and satisfied.
Healthy Protein PancakesPrint Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups oat flour
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 4 tbs baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbs Ground flax seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 cups milk I like to use oat milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups frozen blueberries Grated apple, cranberries, banana are good options too!
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl to remove any clumps. Now in a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix together. Do not over mix. Let the batter rest for 2 minutes after mixing to allows some of the milk to be absorbed.
- Heat pan over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Allow to melt.
- Using a measuring cup add in about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the hot pan. Cook for about 3 minutes before flipping. Don't be shy to add in another tbsp of oil if pan looks dry. Also These pancakes take a little bit longer than your standard flour pancakes.
- Take pancakes off of heat and smother in greek yogurt, fresh berries, and real maple syrup.