These raspberry jam thumbprint cookies are an amazing treat to add to your holidays, or anytime of the year. Wildly easy to make, delicious, and sure to be a crowd favourite.
Making these thumbprint cookies
Making and forming these thumbprint cookies take a couple steps but it is nothing difficult. Firstly we will make the cookie dough by creaming the butter, powdered sugar, and egg yolk together. From there we add in the vanilla, flour, and cornstarch. Mix with a hand mixer and then use your hands to bring the dough together. Once dough is together form golf ball sized balls with the dough and place them on a parchment paper line cookie sheet. From there, lightly pat the balls flat and then press your thumb into the centre of the cookie. Now spoon in some of your favourite jam of jelly!
Ingredients needed for this recipe
- Room temperature butter. Make sure it is room temperature of it wont properly combine with the rest of the ingredients
- Powdered sugar.
- 1 egg yolk
- All purpose flour
- corn starch
- Your favourite jam or jelly
Cooling and storing
Like any cookie you bake, make sure you let the cookie sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes after you remove it from the oven. This is a crucial step to help the bottom crispy up and it allows the cookie to get some structural integrity so it doesn’t just crumble apart when you pick it up.
These cookie will remain fresh on the counter for 3 days. They are also great to freeze and will remain fresh for up to 3 months.
Thumbprint cookiesPrint Recipe
- 1 cup Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Raspberry jam Use your favourite!
- Preheat oven to 355F and line a large baking pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together the room temperature butter and powdered sugar. Once smooth add in the egg yolk and mix for another minute.
- Add in the vanilla, flour, and corn starch. Mix until the mixture is crumbly like sand. From there use your hands to bring the mixture together.
- Roll dough into golf ball shaped balls and place them on the baking sheet. Leave about 1 inch between each cookie. Lightly press down on the cookies to slightly flatted and then press your thumb into the centre to create an indent.
- Spoon a teaspoon of jam into the thumbprint indent.
- Place cookies into the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes. Once done cooking, remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool for ten minutes on the baking sheet. Remove and let them fully cool on a cooling rack and then enjoy!