This copy cat Starbucks Spinach and feta wrap is an amazing breakfast meal prep option that is packed with protein, and frankly tastes way better than the original. Soft egg white omelet, cream cheese and sun dried tomatoes spread, sautéed spinach, salty feta, all folded together in a toasted whole wheat tortilla. It’s delicious and a great option to grab on the way out the door!
There are very few healthy drive through options out there, especially for breakfast. As such, Starbucks is one of my go to’s when I need to grab something relatively ok to eat. The decision inevitably comes down between their Sousvide Egg bites (find my viral recipe for DIY Starbucks egg bites here) and their Spinach and Feta wrap. Since I have already done a DIY version of those, it was time to tackle the wrap.. And I have to say, pardon the gloat here, but I nailed it. SO much better than the Starbucks version.
Let’s breakdown the ingredients
- Egg whites. The below recipe is for 2 wraps. You will need one cup of egg whites. I prefer to use carton egg whites, but if you would rather separate the yolks and whites, all good.
- Room temperature cream cheese – The secret sauce for these spinach and feta wrap comes down to the sun dried tomato and cream cheese spread. Dead easy to make.
- Sun dried tomatoes– You can find these in basically every grocery store. Check close to the olives. You could use fire roasted red peppers if that suits your fancy.
- Spinach– Great way to get some greens in your body in the morning.
- Feta – Don’t need much, but adds a lovely briny kick.
- Whole wheat tortillas – Rotis would do the trick too!
Cooking your egg whites
This is a very simple way to make this egg white omelette. Place a non stick pan over medium heat and drop in a tablespoon of butter. Once melted, pour in the egg whites and season with salt. Now just let the heat do the work. I like to take a silicone spatula around the edge of the egg whites and tip the pan to one side to allow the uncooked eggs whites on top to hit the pan. Do this a couple times until the whole omelette is set. Once set, remove from heat and then fold the omelette like a letter going into an envelop. Now you can slice the omelette in half.
Building the wrap
Step one: Spread the sun dried tomato cream cheese over the wrap.
Step two: Layer on the sautéed spinach and crumble feta in centre of wrap.
Step three: Lay on half of the full omelette (this recipe makes two wraps) and season with salt and pepper.
Step four: Fold the two ends of the wrap over the ends of the omelette. Now fold one of the sides over the eggs and roll the wrap tightly.
Step five: Get an oiled pan nice and hot and gently drop the seam side of the wrap on the heat. Allow to toast golden on both sides.
Make in advance
If you are planning on meal prepping a bunch of these go for it! I would suggest that after you pan sear the tortillas, you allow the wraps to fully cool. Once cooled, wrap in parchment paper and then place into a freeze bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. When heating from frozen, you have two options. Firstly, you can pop it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, or secondly you can remove from freezer the night before and allow it to thaw in the fridge. In the morning you can pop the wrap onto a hot pan and heat it up that way!
DIY Starbucks Spinach and feta wrapPrint Recipe
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 3 tbsp room temperature cream cheese
- 3 tbs sun dried tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- Place a medium non stick pan over medium heat. Drop in 1 tbs of butter. Once butter is melted pour in egg whites and season with salt. Allow the heat to do the work here. You can slide a silicone spatula along the side of your omelette and tilt the pan to one side to allow the non cooked egg whites to sneak on to the hot pan. Once eggs are totally set fold the omelette into thirds. Just like the way you would fold a letter to put into an envelop. Place onto a place and cut through the middle as we are making 2 wraps.
- While the eggs are cooking you can kick on with the spinach. Place an oiled pan over medium high heat and then drop in the spinach with a pinch of salt. Saute until spinach is slightly wilted and then remove from heat.
- Now mix together the cream cheese and diced sun dried tomatoes. Make sure the cream cheese is room temperature of this will be tricky. Feel free to pop the cream cheese in the microwave for 20 seconds to make this easier.
- Next up, lay one of the wraps down on a cutting board. Smear a good amount of the cream cheese mixture over the wrap. Layer on the spinach, crumble on the feta, and then lay 1 half of the omelette on top. Now fold the two ends of the wrap over the ends of the omelette. Now fold one side over the top of the omelette and fold shut. Try to keep everything as tight as possible. Review the photo above for a visual.
- Once wraps are folded, place them seam side down on a hot oiled pan. Toast both sides.