DYI Starbucks Egg White & Roasted Red Pepper Egg Bites
Our original DYI Starbucks Egg Bites recipe was one of our most made recipes on the blog. Not to mention that the video on tiktok went viral! Anyway, I was receiving a ton of messages from people asking for the Starbucks Egg White and Roasted Red Pepper Recipe, so I had to make it happen! And here it is! Lighter but just as tasty as the original. Same process, just a couple small adjustments. Enjoy!
Our whole family loves these egg cups and they have become a staple in my weekly meal prep. No fancy equipment needed other than a blender and a standard oven. Basically, pop all of the ingredients into a blender, then blend them together for 1 minute. Pour the egg mixture into greased muffin tins (I love the using silicone mold muffin tins which makes the cleanup way easier). The key here is to only fill them up about half way.
Creating moisture in the oven
In order to have the egg bites cook evenly and remain a similar texture to the ones you have eaten at Starbucks, I find it best to add a pan filled with water into the oven prior to baking the egg cups. Keep the water bath in the oven during cooking as this will create a humid environment that helps to reduce the egg cups splitting open. Place the water filled pan on the bottom rack of the oven, and then place the egg bites on the top rack.
Tips for Nailing these egg white egg bites
- Create moisture in the oven. See above.
- When blending the egg whites, go gentle. Egg whites can incorporate air very easily which can cause some issues when baking. Slowly turn on the blender and let it blend a bit longer at lower speed. This will avoid incorporating to much air which could lead to the egg bite deflating.
- After you have the muffin tins filled halfway with the egg mixture. Lightly tap the tray on the counter. This will force some of the air to the top. Again, egg whites incorporate air easier so this does help.
- Don’t use fat free cottage cheese. The fat is needed for structure, otherwise you will like see deflated egg bites!
- 1 litre egg whites. I used a carton to avoid wasting that many yolks
- 1 1/2 white cheddar cheese or mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cup cottage cheese (no less than 2% fat)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 300 and place a brownie tray with water into the oven. This will create a more humid environment. Grease a silicone muffin tin while you are at it.
- Add the egg whites, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and seasoning to a food processor or blender. Blend gently until smooth. See above tips for reasons why.
- Pour the egg mixture into the muffin cups. Fill up each cup about half way.
- Drop roasted red pepper, green onion, and spinach into each cup.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven for around 32-34 minutes. You want them to be totally set. If the centre is still jiggly, let bake for another 2 minutes or so.
- Remove from oven and let egg bites sit in muffin tray for around 5-10 minutes. Gently remove from tins and let cool on cooling rack.
- These stay in the fridge for 7-10 days or can be frozen. If frozen, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minutes depending on your microwave.
Subscribe to more content like this: