These five ingredient, homemade flour tortillas use ingredients you likely have in your pantry. Perfect for burritos, tacos, wraps and so much more.. Make them!
Quick history of the flour tortilla
Many people believe the flour based tortilla was invent in Northern Mexico, where it was used in many dishes from a version of the burrito, quesadilla, chimichangas and fajitas. The flour tortilla is the younger cousin of the classic corn tortilla found across many areas of the Latin World. We love flour tortillas for their versatility in many dishes. Fried, baked, steamed they always seem to satisfy!
Difference between corn and flower
There’s one main difference between corn and flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are traditionally made from finely ground corn called masa. Before corn can be ground the corn must go through a process called nixtamalization. This process removes the the less edible outer shell of the corn, softening it and making it easier to grind. This intensive process is a labour of love, but produces one of the best and beloved ingredients found across dinner tables around the world. Corn tortillas have a firmer texture, slightly more chew but pack so much toasty and rich flavour. We refuse to say one is better then the other, we have room for all kinds of tortillas in this home!
Tips to nailing these homemade flour tortillas
When making fresh homemade flour tortillas theres a few things you’ll want to make sure you get right.
- Make sure your balls are similar sizes – If you have a kitchen scale simply weight the full dough and divide it by how many tortillas you want, we suggest a golf ball sized ball.
- Make sure you don’t over knead– When we mix the ingredients together, only mix it until it’s no longer shaggy. If you over knead it, you might run the risk of it becoming gummy.
- Get the pan hot– When you start to cook of your tortillas, make sure your pan is heated. When you place your tortilla down you’ll want to hear it sizzle right away. This will ensure a even cook and that you get some golden brown colour and great flavour.
Recipes you want to make with these homemade flour tortillas
If you liked the sound these homemade flour tortillas, here’s a few flavour packed recipes you’ll want to go with them!
Homemade Flour TortillasPrint Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbs Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Warm water
- In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients. Use your hands to knead the dough until it is no longer shaggy.
- Divide the dough into golf ball sized balls and then using a rolling pin roll the dough out into a circular shape as thin as possible.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over high heat and once hot, drop the tortilla or taco onto the hot pan and allow it to puff and bubble. After about 60 seconds, flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the pan and place in a folded hand towel.