This 10 minute middle eastern/north African Shakshuka is quick, easy, and perfect for any meal of the day. Traditionally served at breakfast, this 10 minute Shakshuka is chock full of veggies. This is one of my favourite meals to eat when I am in a rush but want something healthy, not just for brunch!
Making this smokey 10 minute shakshuka is really simple and anyone can make this! All you need to do is saute some veggies and spices in a pan, pour over tomato sauce, and then steam a couple eggs on top of the sauce. Easy peasy!
Let’s breakdown the ingredients
- Garlic, Onion, Red pepper, Tomatoes
- Canned Tomatoes
- Spices such as cumin, paprika, zaatar, salt, pepper
- Topped with Feta and parsley
How to cook the eggs?
Cooking your eggs is super simple. Once your tomato sauce is ready, use the back of a spoon to make small nest for the eggs to rest in. Once you have all 4-5 eggs on top of the tomato sauce, season them with some salt and then cover with a lid. The steam will cook your eggs! You want the whites to be fully set and the yolks to still be runny. This takes about 4-5 minutes.
I like to cook and serve this dish in a cast iron pan. Makes clean up that much easier! I love when I can serve dishes directly in the pan they were cooked in! Serve on the middle of the table with some grilled sourdough bread!
Other tasty brunch recipes
10 Minute SkakshukaPrint Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 28oz whole tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp zaatar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 2 tbs crumbled feta
- 1 tsp zaatar
- 2 slices toasted sourdough
- Into a lightly oiled cast iron pan placed over medium high heat, add in garlic, onions, red pepper, and diced tomatoes. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the canned whole tomatoes or crushed tomatoes and reduce temperature to medium. Add in the cumin, paprika, zaatar, salt, and pepper.
- Using the back of a spoon make small indents to create "nests" for the eggs to rest in. Crack in the eggs, season with salt, and then cover the pan with a link. Allow the eggs to steam for around 5 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are firm and the yolks are still runny.
- While the eggs are steaming toast a couple slices of sourdough bread.
- Once eggs are cooked, remove pan from heat and top with chopped parsley, crumbled feta, and zaatar. Enjoy!