If you’re looking for a simple, quick and easy dessert that screams springtime, this might just be it. This Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble is just a few ingredients you should already have at home, plus some beautiful fresh fruit. You just found a new classic dessert that will always impress. Let get baking!
Key ingredients for Springtime Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Strawberry/Rhubarb– Great flavour, to us it’s the best springtime combinations. Sweet and tart just goes so well together.
Lemon– Super important for balancing the sweetness of the filling. It adds a much needed zip that without it might make the dish overly sweet.
Quick-cooking rolled oats– We like to use these specific ones because they always have a great constancy. No ovlery crunchy, under baked oats in this crumble.
Corn starch– This is going to bind the juices from the fresh fruit and give the filling its body. Without it you might end up with a product that’s a little too wet.
Keys to nailing this Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
The fresher the better- We know you can’t always get your hands on fresh strawberries and rhubarb, after all who doesn’t love a crumble in the middle of winter! If you have to use frozen fruits, that’s totally okay. Just make sure your frozen strawberries and rhubarb are fully thawed and as much of the extra water is drained out.
The crumble is just as important as the filling– A good crumble recipe can be a beautiful thing. The key is to keep it moist as to not dry out in the oven, and thick enough so it doesn’t absorb all of the filling. It’s a balancing act but once you nail it, you’ll have the perfect topping to any baked crumble.
Use what’s in season
This recipe is a great template, meaning; if you can’t get your hands on fresh strawberries, play around with other fruits. Farmers markets are a dream for discovering new flavours and ingredients, and for eating in a more ‘seasonal’ way. There is a whole world of flavour combinations out there for you to explore, strawberry and rhubarb is just the start!
Other baked goods you should check out!
If you liked this Springtime Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble, here’s a few other baking recipes we think are worth giving a try. Happy baking!
Strawberry Rhubarb CrumblePrint Recipe
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 3 cups Fresh rhubarb Chopped
- 5 cups Fresh strawberries Sliced
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 large Lemon Juiced
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 tbs Corn starch
- 4 oz unsalted butter Softened
- 1 1/2 cup Light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup Quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- In a bowl, mix together rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and cornstarch. Pour into a 9X13 inch baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together all of the crumble ingredients and mix together with your hands.
- Pour crumble mixture over the strawberries and rhubarb, making sure to cover all off the baking dish. You can either keep it loose or compact it down. Place baking dish into the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove crumble and allow to cool slightly or fully depending on how you like to eat it! Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.