This veggie packed broccoli and cheddar soup is comfort food in a bowl and slammed with ingredients you can feel really great about eating. I was inspired to make this by an amazing Canadian Chef Laurent Dagenais who recently posted a broccoli soup that immediately made me want to make my own version.
Now I know some might not get excited about a broccoli soup, but let me tell you this is delicious. Creamy, smooth, with hints of cheddar. Perfect soup to make on a cold day, or just when ever you want to enjoy a big old serving of vegetables.
How to make this Broccoli Soup
- Prep your veggies and get a large pot heating over medium high heat. I love making soup in a cast iron dutch oven.
- Drizzle in some olive oil and butter and once pot is at temperature drop in onions, leeks, and garlic. Saute.
- After the onions are translucent, drop in the broccoli and saute for 3 minutes.
- Next up add in the litre of stock and bring it up to a simmer. Allow the broccoli to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the stems are soft.
- Add in the spinach, cheddar, milk, and salt.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and top with croutons, cheddar cheese, and black pepper.
Other soups you might enjoy
Broccoli Cheddar SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups leek, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 4 cups broccoli (stems and florets) approx 3 full broccoli
- 1 litre stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup homemade croutons
- Add garlic and olive oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Once temperature has been reach add in garlic, onions, and leeks. Saute for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Next up add in the broccoli and give it a bit of a stir so it can get cozy with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour in 1 litre of stock of your choice. Bring up to a simmer and allow the mixture to bubble away for about 10 minutes or until the broccoli starts to get soft.
- Next add in spinach, cheddar cheese, milk, salt, and pepper. Now using a blender or an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup until nice and smooth. Taste for seasoning.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with croutons and cheese.
(Visited 5,306 times, 2 visits today)