This is the kind of tofu recipe that would impress even the most dedicated meat eater. Spicy, crispy, and super crave-able. You are absolutely going to want to give this crispy Buffalo Popcorn Tofu a try!
Buffalo Popcorn TofuPrint Recipe
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained & cut into cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp celery salt
- ½ cup franks red hot sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- juice of half a lemon
- Place a frying pan over medium high heat and add in 1 cup of canola oil. Let the oil come up to temp. Ideally 365 degrees
- While the pan is heating up, mix together the panko crumbs, salt, cornstarch, paprika, black pepper, and celery salt.
- Lightly drizzle 1 tbs of franks red hot sauce over the tofu blocks, and then drop the cubes into the panko mixture and coat. Allow the tofu to sit in the panko mixture for around 5 minutes.
- Once pan and oil is hot, carefully drop the coated tofu into the hot oil and let fry until all sides are golden brown and coating is very crispy.
- While tofu is frying, mix together frank red hot sauce, melted butter, and lemon juice.
- Once tofu is remove from oil, let rest on paper towel and season with a pinch of salt.
- Place tofu cubes in a large bowl and pour over the hot sauce mixture. Toss until fully coated.
- Serve with ranch dip, celery sticks, and a cold beer.
Tips for nailing this recipe
- I tossed the tofu blocks in a bit of hot sauce before putting them in the cornstarch panko mixture. This allowed more of the dry ingredients to stick to the outside of the tofu
- You want to let the tofu bites fry long enough to really get crispy. Don’t rush that process and make sure your oil is hot enough. Ideally around 365 degree F.
- Sprinkle the bites with spice right after they come out of the fryer. I used smoked paprika, but you can use whatever flavour you love.