We’re in the heart of soup season, folks, and I’m sure you’ve never seen a soup like this. This Citrus Cumin Black Bean Soup is full of everything me and my family love. Super rich and creamy but paced with bright citrus flavours and round spicy notes, this one is for the book!
Key Ingredients for this Citrus Cumin Black Bean Soup.
The key ingredients are, you guessed it:
Cumin is one of my all-time favourite spices. Its super round flavour profile and richness make me want to curl up and enjoy a bowl of soup on the couch.
Black Beans are the backbone of this soup; if cooked properly, they’ll give you an ultra-creamy soup base.
Citrus is a super important part of this recipe. I used a mix of orange and lime juice to add sweetness and bursting acidity.
Tips on making this Citrus Cumin Black Bean Soup.
The only major key is to make sure all of your aromatic vegetables and your black beans are super soft. We want a creamy soup with no grittiness from undercooked carrots or beans.
If you think your soup base is undercooked, chances are it is. Just let it go for a few more mins, check back in and see if you’re ready to puree.
Garnish it and make it your own!
Once my Soup was done, I used some of the leftover peppers, some cilantro and tortilla strips to finish mine off. If you have a favourite way to garnish or finish off your soups at home, feel free.
Other recipes to check out!
Citrus Cumin Black Bean SoupPrint Recipe
- 3 tbs Olive oil
- 2 Larg e Yellow onions Diced
- 1 large Carrot Diced
- 1 Large Red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 Jalapeno Deseeded and diced
- 2 clove Garlic Minced
- 3 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 3 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Fresh pepper
- 3 14oz can Black beans Drained and rinsed
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup Fresh orange juice
- 1 large Lime Zested and juiced
- Fresh cilantro
- Red peppers
- In dutch oven warm olive oil oven medium heat. Add in onion, carrot, red pepper, garlic, and jalapeno. Stir occasionally until onions are translucent and soft. Add in cumin and bloom.
- Add black beans, stock, and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 mins.
- Stir in orange juice, lime juice and zest and season with salt and pepper.Puree soup in blend or using an immersion blender. Keep some of the beans intact for texture.
- Serve hot with fresh peppers, cilantro and tortilla chips!