This warm, vibrant, coconut lentil spinach soup, is packed with veggies and will warm ya right up! I get so many requests for delicious soup recipes and I will tell ya that this is one of my favourite. With great spices, creaminess from the coconut milk, and protein from the lentils, this is a soup that eats like a meal!
I love cooking with legumes and an underrated one to cook with is the lentil. Red lentils are available in every grocery store, they are inexpensive, and PACKED with nutrition. In one cup of lentils there is 18g of protein and 16g dietary fibre!
Let’s breakdown the ingredients!
- Yellow onion
- Cilantro stems
- Spices- Curry powder, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon
- Coconut milk- Always use full fat
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Stock- Veggie or chicken stock work best
- Dried red lentils
Steps to make this Coconut Lentil Spinach Soup
- Saute Onions, garlic, ginger, and cilantro stems in large pot.
- Add in spices
- Pour in coconut milk, diced tomatoes, stock, and lentils. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer lentils for 20 minutes
- Add in spinach and finish with a squeeze of lime.
- Serve with toasted shredded coconut
Other soups you might enjoy!
Sausage, kale, white bean soup
Coconut Lentil Spinach SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 Large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems, sliced.
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 28oz Canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups spinach
- 4 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 lime
- Place an oiled large pot over medium high heat. Next up add in the onions, garlic, ginger, and cilantro stems and saute for around 2 minutes.
- Next up add in the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to make sure the aromatics are coated.
- Now add in the lentils, coconut milk, stock, and diced tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the cover and drop in the spinach and squeeze in the lime juice. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Serve in a bowl. I like to sprinkle on toasted coconut, but not necessary. Enjoy!
(Visited 6,971 times, 3 visits today)