If you’re looking for a new fall dish your kids and family will love, this lasagna soup might be it! All of the same flavours of your favourite baked pasta dish in a quicker, easier and more accessible way! Make a big batch, keep it in the fridge and serve it throughout the week; you can thank me later!
Key ingredients for this hearty Lasagna Soup.
This altered classic has loads of flavourful ingredients that will make you want to have it every week; here’s a breakdown of some of the most important.
The noodles– You can’t have a lasagna without them. Cooking them right in the sauce will let them soak up all of those flavours and keep your kitchen mess minimal.
The beef– We used ground beef in this recipe to keep it simple, but like any good lasagna, you can switch it out for whatever protein you prefer!
The stock– We want to add flavour at every step of the cooking process. If we used water to bump up the soup, it would dilute it and mute the flavours. A good stock will give it depth, richness and, hopefully, that bit of salt it needs.
Tomato paste– Very different from tomato sauce. This is the ultimate concentrated version of tomatoes. You’ll want to cook it to mellow its flavours and round out the acidity.
Tips on nailing this Lasagna Soup every time.
This is a super simple recipe that comes together quickly, but there are a few steps you’ll want to take to ensure it’s the best version every time.
Cook your noodles how you’d like: Everyone prefers their pasta cooked in different ways. Some people like their noodles very firm and al dente, while others prefer a softer texture; all are valid. Check your noodles often, and remember they’ll continue to cook in the hot pot even once you turn the heat off.
Brown is best: We want to impart as much flavour into the soup base as possible. We do this by letting the beef (or sausage) brown. Those little brown bites are packed with flavour and shouldn’t be neglected!
Keep it, freeze it and enjoy it later!
This is one of those perfect meal prep dishes. It’s hearty, flavourful and takes to a deep freeze like crazy!
Make a batch or two, let it almost entirely cool on the counter and then place it in the fridge to cool down completely.
Place it in some air-tight containers, and you have yourself a fabulous meal prep item!
Other recipes we think you’ll love!
- 1 lb Ground beef Or any other protein!
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 large Onion Diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tbs Tomato paste
- 1 28oz Canned Tomatoes
- 900ml Veggie or chicken stock
- 2 cups Water
- 3 tbs Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 12-15 Large Lasagna Noodles Broken up
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper To taste
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 1/2 cup Parm Finely grated
- Chives Finally diced
- Add beef and olive oil into pot placed over medium high heat. Cook the beef until totally browned. Once browned remove from pot and set aside.
- In same pot add in diced onions, and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add in tomato paste, stir and then drop in tomatoes. Using a fork crush up tomatoes. Allow to bubble away for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock, water, dried oregano, and garlic powder and bring to a boil.
- Once boil has been reached drop in the noodles and cook until desired doneness.
- Once noodles are cooked add in the cream and cooked beef.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with ricotta, parm and chives.