It doesn’t get easier than this one folks. Three staple ingredients are needed to whip up these classic sugar cookies. Somewhere between a classic sugar cookie and a short bread, these simple but tasty cookies are perfect for bakers of all levels!
Traditional sugar cookies would have more ingredients (eggs, baking soda, salt, etc) and require you to roll the dough out flat and let is rest in the fridge for a couple hours before cutting the cookies into shape. The beauty of this recipe is that is takes less than and hour from taking out the ingredients to in your mouth!
How to make these 3 ingredients sugar cookies
Really doesn’t get much simpler than these cookies. Into a bowl you are going to beat some room temperature butter and sugar until it’s nice and creamy. Don’t rush this step. Next up you add in the flour and mix again. The dough will seem pretty crumbly here, but the best thing to do is bring the dough together with your hands. Once the dough has come together, form the cookies. Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar, then flatten them with a glass or measuring cup. Next up we will bake the cookies until the sides are nice and brown, and then remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes. Thats it! Easy Peasy.
Tips for nailing this recipe
- The thickness matters: Once the raw dough balls are flattened, they should end up being between an 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
- Space cookies apart: Cookie dough should be placed on the cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart, because they do spread while baking.
- Cool properly: This is so important for any cookies recipe. After baking, these cookies need to remain on the cookie sheet for at least 10-15 minutes before moving them to cool completely, because they are fragile at first. Once cooled, though, they’re sturdy.
- Couple small additions: While vanilla extract and sprinkles are not needed for this recipe to work, the addition of the two is recommended!
3 ingredient sugar cookiesPrint Recipe
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 2/3 cup sugar + 3 tbs for coating
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a bowl using a hand or stand mixer affixed with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar for about 2 minutes. You want the mixture to be nice and creamy.
- Next up add in the flour and mix together. The mixture will be quite crumbly but don't fret it does come together. I always end up using my hands to clump the dough together at the end.
- Now let's form the cookies. Scoop out some cookie dough and roll into balls. Gently roll the balls in the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar until lightly coated; transfer to the baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Using a measuring cup or flat bottomed glass, press down on the balls to flatten. Sprinkle with some sprinkles (if using) and lightly press down again just so they stick. You want the dough to be about 1/4-1/8 thick.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the outside is nice and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. This is a crucial step, don't skip. Transfer to a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes and then dig in!