This sausage and bean burrito bowl is worthy of weekly meal prep. It’s got a bit of everything – juicy sausage, crispy vegetables, everyone’s favourite quick pickles and, of course, a zesty lime cream. If it’s a burrito you’re craving, this bowl is sure to satisfy!
Meal prepping should be easy and tasty!
No one wants to dread meal prepping or cooking for their family. This recipe was made to be the saving grace of weekday dinners.
The best way to get the most out of this recipe is to keep it simple. Pick your protein, choose your vegetables and your spices, and get it all in a pan. We want all of the ingredients to have long enough to get to know each other without overcooking.
Making Pickles Quick – Burrito bowl style!
A quick pickle is a beautiful thing.
Very different from your traditional pickle, all we want to do is add a touch of acidity and seasoning to preserve the crispy flavours of the red onion while also softening the spice of the jalapeno.
Just a few splashes of vinegar and a sprinkle of salt are enough to transform them into the perfect garnish.
If you’re an avid home pickler, of course, feel free to use up what you have on hand or your preferred pickling method.
An even quicker sauce!
All good burrito bowls need a good sauce; if you’re looking for something super easy and backed with flavour, a lime mayo is what you’ll want.
All you need is mayo and one lime (plus a pinch of salt)
You’ll want to add the zest of 1 lime plus half the juice. The zest is going to be, well – zestier, giving it more of a punch.
If you’re looking to get the most out of your citrus, a proper microplane is going to be your best friend.
Other recipes like this Sausage and Bean Burrito Bowl to check out!
If you liked the sound of these Sausage and Bean Burrito Bowl, here are a few other meal prep wonders to check out!
Sausage and Bean Burrito BowlPrint Recipe
For the pickles
- 1 Jalapeno Sliced thin
- 1/2 Red onion Sliced thin
- 1 cup Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Water To cover
For the Burrito Bowl
- 3 Sausage Of any flavour
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Red bell pepper Sliced thin
- 1 (540ml) Black beans Stained and rinsed
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh tomato Diced
- 1 1/2 cups Rice
For the Lime Mayo
- 1/2 cup Mayo
- 1 Lime Zested and juiced
- Start by slicing your jalapeno and red onion and thin as possible. If you want your pickle to be less spicy, remove all the seeds from the jalapeno as you slice them. Add 1 cup of vinegar, 1 tsp of salt and add enough water to cover. Mix and set in the fridge.
- Into a large frying pan over medium heat, add crumbled sausage and cook for 3-4 min. Add in 1 clove of garlic, 1 bell pepper and 1 can of black beans. Mix that together and season wit salt, cumin, oregano, garlic powder and black pepper. Saute for 5-6 min or until the sausage is cooked and the peppers are tender.
- In a small bowl combine the zest and juice of 1 lime with 1/2 a cup of mayo. Season with 1 tsp of salt.
- Top rice with burrito bowl mix, quick pickles, a squeeze of lime mayo and enjoy!