I’ve made burgers hundreds of ways, and these Smash Burgers might be the best way to make them. Double-stacked and ultra-thin patties with thinly sliced onions smashed right into the patties. Top it off with a slice of cheese, fresh veggies and garlic mayo, and you have a new family classic!
Key ingredients for these Smash Burgers.
Beef- The beef you choose is important. Quality beef is going to be bright red, with no dry spots and a clean smell. Talk to your local butchers; they might even have a special burger blend that you like to use!
Onions- The onions give the burger a bite! When you smash them into the patty, they soften, caramelize and stay crispy all at the same time!
Buns- Everyone has a preferred burger bun; I like a simple white bun or roll, something that’s going to soak up the juices from the pan!
The perfect smash burger sauce.
A good burger is only as good as its sauce. A super classic burger sauce is made of simple ingredients: Ketchup, mayo, mustard, relish, and mayo, as well as a few spices. I wanted to switch it up a bit and go in a different direction.
I love a punchy garlic mayo, but I wanted something a bit deeper and richer. Doing a roasted garlic mayo did the trick.
Dip your fries, burger, tater tots, fried chicken or whatever you want in it.
Perfecting the smash!
1) Make sure your pan is hot. When you place your ball down, you want to hear it sizzle right away.
2) Get your parchment ready. You want to have a square that’s just a bit bigger than the ball. It’s going to make sure you can apply good pressure and not have it stick to your spatula.
3) Your onions should be sliced as thinly as possible. Pile them on top of your ball; the more, the merrier.
4) Get a heavy metal spatula and go to town! You want to apply even pressure, making sure it stays in a uniform patty shape. Peel off the parchment and just let it fry! No need to flip multiple times.
A pan for flat top is going to be your best friend when making Smash Burgers. I’d recommend getting a Cast Iron pan like this!
Other blogs to check out!
If you like the sound of these Smash Burgers, here are a few other blogs and recipes you should check out!
Smash BurgersPrint Recipe
- 1 lbs Ground beef
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 bulb Garlic
- 1/2 cup Mayo
- 1/2 large White onion Sliced as thin as possible
- 1 large Tomato Sliced into rounds
- 1/2 large Head iceberg lettuce Shredded
- 1 cup Dill pickle slices
- 4 Slices of cheddar cheese
- Roll your ground beef into balls (about ⅓ of a cup of meat per ball) and set to rest in the fridge. Place 1/2 a bulb if garlic in tin foil, add a pinch of salt and 1 tsp of olive oil and roast. Once the cloves are golden brown and soft, remove from the oven. Let your garlic cool slightly, and add to 1 cup mayo with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
- With a sharp knife or a mandolin, slice ½ and onion. Set aside.
- Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, place a ball into the center. Place ¼ of the shaved onions on each ball. With a flat metal spatula and a small square of parchment, press down on the burger. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 min on both sides. Add a slice of cheese once flipped.
- Toast you buns, add mayo, tomato, pickles, two patties and enjoy! I serve mine with roasted sweet potato wedges and extra garlic aioli!