This hearty Curry and Chickpea Kale Salad is perfect for all you meal preppers out there. The kale and chickpeas in this salad keep extremely well in the fridge even after being dressed; they even get better the next day! You don’t need to be afraid of kale anymore; it’s here to stay!
Key ingredients for this Curry Chickpea and Kale Salad.
There are a ton of great flavours and ingredients in this Curry Chickpea and Kale Salad, each one as important as the last; here’s a breakdown of why they are there:
Kale– Such great texture and source of fibre, we’ll teach you how to properly show it some love later in the blog!
Sweet potato– Adding a touch of sweetness and texture.
Apple– Again, adding sweetness, crunch and a bright acidity!
Greek yogurt- The best base for dressings, it adds extra protein and gives a great zip to your recipes.
Maple and hot sauce- You always need a little sweetness and heat to balance things out!
The trick to the perfect kale salad.
Kale can be a tricky ingredient to work with; If it’s not handled properly, it can be super tough and chewy.
The trick to a great kale salad is to mash up the leaves with your hands as much as possible which breaks down the cell walls of the leaf and makes it so tender and delicate. Add in your dressing, give it a good thrashing, and you’ll be blown away by the difference it makes.
Cleaning you greens is important too. Sometimes when you wash a green, it can hold on to a ton of liquid and water your dressings down. Using a salad spinner like this one is a great way to keep the greens clean and dry!
Nailing the dressing.
The best way to get a creamy dressing that has its flavours evenly dispersed is to use a blender.
Pop in all of your ingredients and blitz until there are almost no chunks left.
Adding in a few tablespoons of water is the key to getting it to the perfect consistency!
Other recipes to check out!
Curry Chickpea and Kale SaladPrint Recipe
- 4 cups Kale Cleaned and Chopped
- 2 cups Brussel sprouts Roasted
- 1 Apple Diced
- 2 cups Shredded chicken Rotisserie is perfect
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepepr
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro Chopped
- 1 tsp Hot sauce of your choice
- 1 Garlic clove Chopped
- 1 1/2 tbs Maple Syrup
- 2 tbs Mayo
- 3 tbs Water
- 1 1/2 cup Sweet potato, cooked and cubes
- Preheat oven to 400F. Dress sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until tender.
- Into a food processor or blender, add in greek yogurt, curry powder, pepper, cilantro, hot sauce, garlic, maple syrup, mayo and water. Blitz on high until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Remove from blender and set aside.
- Into a large bowl, combine all of your ingredients, add your dressing and mix well.