These herby, spicy, harissa chicken meatballs are amazing prep or something you can serve to guests for a dinner party. Easy to make, loaded with flavour, these harissa chicken meat balls could become one of you new favourite meals.
What is Harissa?
Harissa is a hot chili paste that originated in Tunisia, North Africa. It is commonly used as a dip or marinade, or to add to dishes like stews to add vibrant red color and heat. Chili peppers were originally imported to Tunisia in the 16th century during the Spanish occupation, and shortly thereafter harissa quickly became a staple part of Tunisian (and Middle Eastern) cuisine (source)
Let’s breakdown the ingredients
- Ground Chicken. Ground lamb would also be delicious
- Herbs – Mint, Parsley, Dill, Green onions
- Harissa Paste. You can find harissa paste in most grocery stores in the international section.
What to serve with these Harissa Chicken Meatballs
You can serve these meatballs with rice, potatoes, a salad, or with hummus. I like to serve them over greek yogurt with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and fresh herbs.
Other recipes you may enjoy
Harissa Chicken MeatballsPrint Recipe
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup harissa paste
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- In a bowl mix thoroughly together all of the ingredients with you hands or a wooden spoon. Roll mixture into 12-15 equal sized meatballs.
- Place a lightly oiled large pan over medium high heat. Once temperature has been reached place the meatballs on to the pan, careful to not to over crowd. Cook all sides of the meatballs and allow to cook for about 10 minutes to make sure the centres are fully cooked.
- Once fully cooked, remove from pan and enjoy! I like to serve with greek yogurt, red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, dill, mint, and a drizzle of olive oil.