Get fired up folks, We are making Pizza! Not just any pizza, but a homemade Margherita Pizza. Margherita pizza is a classic. Nothing fancy. Just dough, tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil. That’s it. When done well it is something very special! Let’s do this.
Let’s start with the dough
You have options when making pizza dough. You can always buy store bought, but if you want to make from scratch it really isn’t that hard. I go deep into the dough making process in my Homemade Pizza Dough blog. Check that out for all of the specifics.
Next up sauce
I was recently watching Netflix’s Chefs Table on Pizza. One of the Chefs, Chris Bianco, talks about pizza in a poetic and beautiful way. I loved how he made his sauce. Could not be easier. Drop high quality canned whole tomatoes into a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh basil leaves. Use your hands to squish the tomatoes. Thats it! Spoon onto pizza dough and let it cook in the heat of the oven! Easy Peasy.
Process of baking your homemade Margherita Pizza
- While you are prepping your pizza, start preheating your oven to it’s max temperature. Also, toss a pizza stone in there to absorb that heat. You want a ripping hot pizza stone for a nice crispy bottom.
- Quick tip on building your pizza. Be sure to roll out your dough and build your pizza on top of a piece of parchment paper. This makes the process of sliding the pizza into the oven SO much easier.
- Once you are ready to cook the pizza, slide the pizza and parchment paper onto a pizza peel or an upside down baking sheet. From here slide the pizza onto the ripping hot pizza stone and shut the door of the oven. After about 60-90 seconds open the oven door and gently pull the parchment paper out from underneath the pizza.
- Continue baking the pizza for about another 8-9 minutes. Sometimes I like to finish under the broiler for a bit more colour.
Let’s breakdown the ingredients for this Homemade Margherita Pizza.
- Pizza Dough – Find my recipe here.
- High Quality Canned Tomatoes
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Olive oil
Other Fun Pizza recipes to check out.
Homemade Margherita PizzaPrint Recipe
- 2 Balls Pizza Dough
- 1 28oz Canned whole tomatoes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 5 Leaves fresh basil, torn apart
- 2 cups Fresh mozzarella
- 10 leaves basil
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 500F. Place a pizza stone in oven and allow to come to temperature
- Let's get cracking with the sauce. Nothing fancy here. Pour the can of tomatoes into a bowl. Add in the olive oil and basil leaves. Using your hands squeeze the tomatoes to break them up. Let the sauce sit in the bowl as we get everything else ready.
- Next up let's get rolling with the dough. Gently stretch out the dough with both of your hands. I like to hold the dough like a steering wheel and allow the dough to pass through my hands with the weight of the dough stretching it self out. Lay the circle of dough onto a piece of parchment paper and slide an upside down baking sheet or pizza peel underneath the parchment paper.
- Ok let's dress the pizza! Add on a couple spoonfuls of sauce, followed by the mozzarella, basil, and olive oil.
- Open the oven and slide the pizza on the parchment paper onto the pizza stone and shut the oven door. Allow the pizza to bake for 60-90 seconds and then open the door and carefully remove the parchment paper. Close oven door and allow pizza to bake for another 8-9 minutes. You can also turn on the broiler at. the end to add some additional colour to the top of the pizza.
- Remove from the oven, slice and enjoy!