This one was a complete accident, folks, but those are sometimes those happy accidents that create some of the most memorable dishes. This Peanut Red Curry is the perfect mix of creamy and spicy red curry but with the bright, zesty, nutty flavours of a Pad Thai. Don’t let your kitchen blunders discourage you; sometimes, the outcome is even better!
Key ingredients for this Peanut Red Curry.
Ginger, garlic and onion- The backbone of the dish. Each gives an aromatic lift that you’ll want to take full advantage of.
Chunky Peanut butter- It could be just me, but chunky peanut butter is somehow less sweet than its smooth counterpart. The chunks of peanut make it a bit more savoury and salty; regardless, it’s a great way to add texture, slight sweetness and nuttiness to the sauce.
Red curry paste- There are so many brands and styles of red curry paste. If you have a favourite, use that; if not, I like Cock Red Curry Paste myself.
All about the noodles.
You can use any noodle you’d like. I had a few packs of instant ramen kicking around and decided to use them up.
If you wanted to go a more traditional route, a rice noodle would be just as good. I like the way these wavy ramen noodles allow the creamy sauce to cling to them.
When cooking your noodles, make sure to reserve about 1/2 a cup of water to bulk up your sauce and thin it out.
There’s lots of texture in this bad boy!
What makes this dish so incredible for me is the layering of textures.
The sauce is creamy but still light; the vegetables should be cooked but still tender. The noodles should get lost in the creamy sauce sauce. Finished off with a healthy layering of crunchy peanuts, you have the making of a great dish flavour-wise, aroma-wise and, of course, texture-wise.
Other Recipes to check out!
If you liked the should others recipe, here are a few other I thin you should check out!
Peanut Red CurryPrint Recipe
- 1 tbs Sesame oil
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 1 1/2 inch Fresh ginger Minced
- 4 large Garlic cloves Minced
- 1 large Yellow onion Sliced
- 1 lbs Ground chicken
- 2 tbs Red curry paste
- 2 tbs Chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 8oz can Coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups Carrot Julienned
- 1 cup Broccoli Chopped
- 2 tbs Soy sauce Low sodium
- 1 large Lime Juiced
- 2 packs Instant Noodes Ramen
- Fresh cilantro, chopped peanuts and lime.
- Into a pan over medium heat, add your sesame oil and olive oil. Once heated, toss in minced garlic, ginger and your sliced yellow onion. Give it a stir and saute for 1-2 min.
- Next add in your ground chicken. Make sure to break it up, to allow more colour to form. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Once your chicken starts to brown, add in 2 tbs of red curry paste, 2 tbs of chunky peanut butter and 1/2 a can of coconut milk. Give it a stir and make sure the curry paste and peanut butter is throughly combined into the coconut milk.
- Next add in your julienned carrots and broccoli, soy sauce and the juice of 1 lime. Mix that around and let the sauce coat all of your veg. Cook on medium low for 5-6 min or until the carrots and broccoli are nice and tender.
- Once our veg is tender, toss in 2 cooked blocks of instant ramen noodles along with about 1/2 cup of the water you cooked your noodles in. This is going to ensure the sauce stays saucy!
- Serve hot with an extra helping of crushed peanut, fresh cilantro and as much fresh lime juice as you's like. Enjoy!