This easy delicious weeknight kung pow chicken requires zero deep frying, is loaded with flavour, and is an amazing meal prep option. Perfect meal to make when you have a craving for take out, but hoping to keep things a little bit more nutritious. Make a large batch, keep it in the fridge and enjoy it throughout the week. Meal prepping have never been this delicious!
Tips for nailing this
- Make sure your pan is hot – This will ensure you get colour and flavour when adding your chicken. We want golden brown not pale and sad!
- Don’t over cook the veggies – We want to preserve some of the crisp texture of the onions and peppers. It give the dish a bit of freshness and bite.
- Buy Low-Sodium Soy sauce – The soy sauce is what give this dish its classic umami kick. With the low-sodium you get all the flavour, but in a slightly lighter style!
Use what you got!
This weeknight kung pow chicken recipe is perfect for getting ride or using up what you have on hand. The rich and glossy sauce pretty much goes with anything and everything. Have a half open bag of snow peas? Toss em’ in. Fresh corn you don’t know what to do with? Shave it off and add it to the pan. Making delicious isn’t always about following a recipe, take the ingredients you love and make it your own!
Interested in similar flavour?
If you liked the recipe for this kung pow chicken, make sure to look at some of our other recipes. All are equally as easy and simple to make, and equally as delicious. Here is a few of our favourite recipes from our blog. Make sure to give them a try and see what one you like best!
Weeknight Kung Pao ChickenPrint Recipe
For the chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts Sliced
- 2 tbsp Rice flour AP flour will do!
- 1 tbsp Low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Hoisin
- 2 tsp Sichuan pepper Black pepper will do!
- 1 tsp Corn starch
For the veg
- 1 large Red bell pepper sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large White onion sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup Green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- Slice chicken breasts into long bite sized chunks
- In a large mixing bowl add chicken and combine with, rice flour, sesame oil and soy sauce. Wrap and set in the fridge.
- In a mixing bowl combine all Sauce ingredients. Stir together to fully incorporate. Set aside.
- With a sharp knife, thinly slice your onions and peppers. Mince your garlic and ginger. Set aside.
- Place a non stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of canola oil. Once heated, gently add in your chicken and cook until golden brown.
- Add to the hot pan your sliced onions and minced ginger and garlic. Saute for 1 min.
- Add your thinly sliced peppers and toss. Next in goes chopped peanuts and sliced green onion.
- Once all your veg is in, stream in the prepared sauce and toss to fully coat. Turn heat down to medium and allow sauce to bubble away and thicken. 5 min.
- Once sauce is thick and glossy, remove from heat and serve over steamy jasmine rice.